April 11, 2009

Facebook: the Friendster syndrome?

I didn't jump onto the bandwagon when Facebook first started. To me, I thought facebook was just another thing like Friendster...and boy i hated that site. It was full of spam and messiness and..ugh. It didn't feel like a place to catch up and share things with your friends...it felt like a place you pimp up your front page and show off how bling it can be (at least for some people)....I stopped using friendster not too long after I started. It got too annoying and pointless.

Not long after I joined facebook, I quickly got to liking it. It was clean and smart...no junkie (if you don't count the 'games' applications they provide...haha) and it was the perfect way to keep in touch with your old friends. I found so many of my old classmates back in Sungai Petani in Facebook. It was nice seeing what they do now. Some have really grew to be really pretty butterflies. It was a nice feeling.

Then facebook had a facelift. While I kinda liked how it was still clean and somewhat less clunky...I hated the fact that I'm getting a lil too much feeds on the updates I get on the 'home' page. Don't get me wrong, I do like to know wats going up with my friends' lives but...that's not the only thing I'm seeing on the page. Day by day, I was getting more and more notifications from all those quiz applications. "xxx just took the yyy quiz and the result is zzz" ....sometimes I wake up in the morning and I get 10 feeds on a single friend about these quizzes. Oh gee. I'm on facebook wanting to know about your life. About what you define yourself...NOT how these applications define you!...I get so much of these spam that most of the time I had to click the "Older posts" link to see earlier updates...only to see more of the spam. 

Facebook probably only added this recently (either that or I never thought of blocking these apps sooner)...they have a 'Hide' button beside the post feed on your 'home'...click on it...and you can either choose to block entries from this friend, or simply hide updates from this application in the future. Great! This is just what I needed....only thing is...with so many of these applications running around, I'll have to be blocking every single one of them one by one. Way to go.

Oh and don't get me started on the tagging fad.

I guess what QJ said was right when I told him I feel that Facebook is turning into the next Friendster. Its not Facebook turning into the next friendster....its Facebook users turning into Friendster users. 

No comments:

Post a Comment