August 26, 2009

Reasons why...

Reasons why it might be kind of a bad idea to be selecting a fully software FYP, which is fully dependent on a good/decent internet connection, and a server which won't die anytime soon.
  • Like fire, you need 3 elements to be able to work on it: a computer, internet connection, a server (which won't die on you anytime). Any one of them missing, and you're a sitting duck.
  • When you have no internet, or the server fucks up on you, you can't even present/demo the damn project...nor can you work on your report cuz you need the screenshots of the damn thing.
  • Fully software means, if you can't demo your project on the day itself (or worse, you don't even have screenshots of our project)...you're dead during presentation/report writing.
  • If your PC dies on you, and all your files are inside, you're screwed. (which is why you should backup, backup and backup! >.< )
  • When you can't access your own project, and other people can.....you'd shoot yourself in the head and wonder what to tell your lecturer tmr.
The last one happened to me.

My FYP is a Facebook/PHP-based system that enables FYP students to update their supervisors on their FYP progress via the application. In reverse, supervisors can also post annoucements on the system to alert all his/her supervisees on any matter. Of course there's other features on the damn thing but that's the gist of the whole project.

Last night, all of a sudden I was unable to access the page I was working on. At first I thought it was coding error. Then I realised that it had nothing to do with the codes cuz, pages that had previously been working fine, had suddenly turn up 404 on me too.

And here's the kicker. I opened it with QJ's facebook login...on MY pc....and everything works FINE! All the pages can be loaded...even the page I was working on. So all I could do was sit and stare and wonder when the damn thing will work for me again....and if it doesn't...what am I gonna tell my supervisor/moderator. "And suddenly....it boikot-ted me so as you can see, I'm actually logging on using my bf's account ^^ " ....it'd be damn kelakar if I actually had to say that during presentation day.

Anyways....progress is going fine...I suppose (although it wouldn't have killed me if I had done more work earlier...lalalalala!) Prolly give it another 2-3 days and I think I'll be done with the software part. Report's gonna be a bitch tho. Blergh.

Hail coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment