August 12, 2009

Change of menu(s) - Chicken porridge

Wanted to cook fried breaded chicken fillets for lunch today...but decided to make Cajun Chicken out of them instead...since I figured QJ would very much prefer that one since its been awhile since I made them....so we had cajun chicken with fried egg, boiled potatoes, and grilled tomatoes, capsicum and onions (they were delicious!)....and immediately felt sleepy right after brunch :P

Planned to go Pasar Malam and stock up on tomatoes and some greens, as well as get dinner and some snacks...but since Razz already had his dinner before we came back from class...decided to eat in for dinner as well...so I made chicken porridge. Dun think I've ever made a proper chicken porridge during my time here yet (I've made all sorts of weird porridge, even the plain white porridge...but never made chicken porridge before...so...weird :P )...turned out so much easier to make and so much nicer than I expected. We ran out of gas but thankfully dinner's done by then...so its chicken porridge for dinner and supper (and maybe still leftover for breakfast...:P )

Mmmm...Now I'm craving for some fish porridge. Time to go get some dory and beer from Jusco...since I wanted to make Fish and Chips with beer batter anyway :P


Been in shitty mood today...but cooking kinda makes it feel better. Kinda. I wish I have a kitty... :S

Chicken porridge

1 cup rice, rinsed and soaked in 1tbsp cooking oil and 1 tsp sesame oil for 15-30 mins (it kinda makes the porridge smooth and extra nice)
A lot of water (depends on how watery you want your porridge to be...maybe a ratio of 1:6 or more?)
1/2 chicken breast (whole)
About 1 tbsp worth of sliced ginger.

1. Put everything together in a pot and boil with slow fire. Check it out after 1/2 hour to see if the rice is soft enough.
2. Turn off the fire when the rice is all softened and the porridge has a good texture.
3. Take out the piece of chicken breast and leave to cool. Tear the meat to 'strings' and return to pot. Stir evenly.
4. Serve with chinese chives or deep fried shallots or deep fried garlic with oil.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment