December 3, 2008

About: Work

Its been a month (or rather, 6 weeks...yay halfway there!) since I started work and I don't think I've talked much about work yet. Actually I haven't blogged much at all. Hahaha...Weekdays I'll either be tired shit when I come back from work, or have other things I rather do, or the 'free' wireless decides to not be so kind....so yeah.

My working hours is from 9 to 6, Mondays to Fridays. Eventho it says 9, I usually 'start' work only at 9.30 or 10 because...well...'tauke' only clocks in at 9.30 onwards (that and the fact that my brain's not awake yet sometimes :P ) so...here I am. Slacking. Shaddup bro, I know you're reading. Bluekk....

MMU assigned 5 interns to work here, 4 of them from cyber, and are very nice people. They all speak mandrin so...yeah...thankfully I'm not all banana..haha!

Oh about my boss. Mr Leong is a great guy to have as an employer. So glad I didn't have to deal with a headache type of a boss. He's very casual, always smiley smiley, sends email to us sometimes at 3am in the morning and still comes to work at 9.30am...and doesn't mind if we're all pretty clueless about PHP and those stuff. And he's not bad at teaching us stuff too so yeah. I'm glad. No he's not the type to buddy buddy with us (yet), and no he hasn't asked us to go lunch together nor belanja us makan but he's good :D

My work. 2 of us were assigned to work under another department, or rather, company (in the same office). They had to do accounting stuff. I dunno if FET minds...but it's still a working experience for them. Me and 2 other were assigned to the IT Dept, and this branch...we're pretty much the main working force. Most of the permanent workers are in the other branch...so you can imagine when the 2 bosses are not around...its basically just..us. Hahaha :P

My job scope mostly covers client's webpage maintenance as well as finding and modifying script to be used on future projects. Sometimes clients will ask us to fix some problems with their site (cant display flash, this and that not alligned, missing pic, broken link, shopping cart not working etc etc) or to add content or features to their site. Random mish mash of stuff basically.

Another project which I did was to 'move' our company's US team's old website and give it a newer, fresher touch. Certainly looks much much better now but there's still things to fix, most of which I'm not familiar with. Will need to check the site one last time before passing the whole thing back to my boss...nyehehe..


One other project I'm supposed to be doing is this community site for Setapak. Initially I was really....bleh about it because the site I was supposed to update was very 'clunky' and unfriendly, and not very pleasant to the eye...In other words, I didn't like it at all. After having so much trouble manually tweak the site template to look like what my boss would want it to look like, he told me one day "Try out this template and let me know the result"....I did it, and in the end I had to change the template of the community site to the new template. Practically throwing my previous week's work into the dumpster. Pfttt...but I suppose I'm glad he asked me to. Site looks so much better now...although initially I had a shitty time trying to figure out how to modify the template, not knowing I was not given super administator authorization and that it was needed for template change. HAIYO!

Learnt a lot of stuff. PHP, mysql....and a bit of flash. Hate it when I can't edit my pictures using Photoshop (because our office only has license for 1 PC and that PC lags x.x ) but I suppose I can survive with Fireworks.

Food, has been an issue. Food around that area is either expensive, or tak sedap. Blek. Our first day there, we had kwan lou yee mee. Even my maggi mee tasted better than dat. After a week of eating out and spending a lot of money eating stuff that were highly overpriced and not so sedap, I got fed up and packed lunch from home since then. Sis would either cook, or I'll cook (rarely tho..haha!), or I'll just tapau nasi lemak, noodle or sumthing from the malay stall at Kelana Jaya train station. Cost me RM1.50 to maximum of RM4.50 for a filling meal of Nasi lemak and curry chicken drumstick but usually it'll cost me around RM2. I know, not very social but I was too bloody broke to care, and we all spend the whole day in the office to social anyway. And its not like we can go far to have lunch either. Parking's per entry so we usually dun go out far.

Lately, both bosses have been out of office pretty often so....yay! Like all my friends say, "When the cat is away, the mouse comes out to play" .....stealing chicken...yes.... :P

Traffic jam is something that's quite numb already. Funny thing is, it won't jam on mondays after work...but if it rains...even if its only a drizzle....ZOMGWTF mannnn...I think I cycle oso sampai rumah ade.

Well...that's about all I can think of now. Overall....yeah I think I'm quite happy working here... :D


Cheers~~ and Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment